Dr. David Rothbart and Justin Keller, physical therapy manager, have compiled some tips on how to avoid back and neck injuries and overexertion while moving:
- Know your physical limits. Hire movers for the heavier items, such as couches, refrigerators and other furniture as these items are best left to the professionals.
- Budget time for your move. Don't try to do it all in one day, rather space it out over the course of several days to prevent overexertion.
- Preventative stretches will help to reduce the chance for injury. A great one to try is a prone press-up, especially after bending forward and lifting for several hours or days.
- Always lift with the item as close to your body as possible, and keep your back and head in an upright position.
- A temporarily used back brace may make help make it though a long day of lifting; however, one should not be used on a daily or prolonged basis. Only wear one as you may need it.