- Avoid sitting for long periods of time: walk, bend or gently twist at regular intervals.
- When standing at length, prop one foot on a stool to reduce strain on the lower back and alternate every half hour.
- While traveling by plane, raise your feet on a briefcase or bag underneath the seat in front of you.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach, which arches your back and puts pressure on your spine.
- If you sit for long periods at the office, invest in an ergonomically correct chair, or roll up a towel and place it behind your lower back.